Saturday, January 8, 2011

S.L.E.E.P is just a 5 letter word

That is how I feel these days, that sleep is just a 5 letter word and nothing else. Sleep in this family over the past couple of weeks has been tragic to say the least. Here is how it has been:

Me: I usually sleep for about 3-4 hours and then wake up for about 3 hours and then fall in and out of sleep until about 4 or 4:30am..Then I just lay in bed, usually get on my phone and play around and wait for the alarm to go off to get up. Some nights are filled with contractions during my 3 hours up. Last Thursday night, I woke up around 10:30 ish and started having contractions, so I grabbed my phone and started counting them. They were coming about every 5-8 minutes. I let it go on for over 2 hours, because in the past, usually the 3rd hour, they let up. They did not. At that point they were 8 minutes apart, consistently. In the back of my mind, I thought we should go in, but I didn't want to go in and have them send me home. They were somewhat painful, but not fall to the ground painful and they weren't getting closer together. I thought I would wait it out and see if they got closer together. At about 4 am, Mike and I decided to get up and get everything ready for Ava for the day (meals, food, instructions out etc..) just in case. I got in the shower and had a small breakfast. At that point, they stopped. WHAT!?! I thought. I was soooo ready in my mind to meet Noah, so I was a bit disappointed. Anyway, for me bedtime isn't something I look forward to because I know I will have a block of hours wide awake. Oh and on top of this, my nose is so stuffed up, a lot of time I am up because I can't breathe. I guess this is just getting me ready for Noah to be here. I mean, there are some days I am going off of 4 hours of sleep.

Ava: Where to begin. Since she got "sick" in the beginning of December, her sleep has been tragic. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised, she has never been a great sleeper anyway. She has nights, more often than I would like, where she wakes up for 3 hours at a time (hence, some of the reason I am awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night). Because she has been sick, we can't just let her cry, because she ends up choking and then gets so upset from choking, so we go in a million times to reassure her and sometimes sit by her crib. She started this thing where she doesn't want to go down for her naps too. Yesterday, she slept for 10 minutes, woke up choking on her phlegm and then never went back to sleep, despite an hour worth of us trying. I know that a lot has to do with being sick and some has to do with all the change that has been going on. I can only hope that she gets better before Noah comes. I know she will still wake in the middle of the night, but hopefully we can get that down to a minimum. She had been waking around 4:30-5am every morning and some mornings we could go in and settle her for another half hour or so and others, she was just up!

Mike: Mike has been busy trying to get ahead at work, so after Ava goes to bed at 7pm, he goes into the office to work. He may work until 10 or 11 some nights and then come to bed. There have been nights where he will get in bed and then Ava decides to wake up for 3 hours and he then doesn't get to bed until 1 or 2 and then we get up around 5.  Sometimes, he will come to be earlier and Ava wakes up and then by the time she gets settled, he can't fall back asleep, so he will get up and work.

As you can see, a good night sleep is needed by all. I do have to say that after Thursday nights/Friday's nap, we all needed a good nights rest last night and that is exactly what we got. We put Ava down by 6:30pm and Mike and I went to bed as well, and everyone slept until 6 the next morning. Ahhhhhh, it felt so good!

Sorry for the lack of pictures, we have packed up our camera in preparation for Noah. I don't know if I have mentioned that I now think all my predictions of him coming early is going to make it so he comes on his scheduled day (jan14th). I REALLY hope not!!

No comments:

Post a Comment