Sunday, August 4, 2013

Noah's Big Boy Bed

We finally made the plunge and put Noah in a big boy bed yesterday. I knew the time was coming. Not because he was climbing out or anything, it is just the natural progression. I wanted him to be in a big boy bed before we started potty training. I guess you can say potty training is our end game. We first started with a monkey clock in his room. That was for 2 reasons: 1. to keep him in his room long enough for us to get showered in the morning and 2. So that he could practice following direction. He has to wait for the monkey to open his eyes to call for us.  Now, we put him in his big boy bed. Next is to get rid of his sleep sack and finally, we will potty train. I am currently aiming for the week in October that Ava is off for school break. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, let's go back to Noah's big boy bed... I knew that I wanted to do this after our trip to LA because Noah is a creature of habit and likes things a certain way. (Gee, I wonder where he gets that from?!) On Thursday we made a trip to Target and bought some new sheets. Even though he wants "Mater" sheets, I just bought something that will match his room and he likes his animal crib sheet, so we went that direction for now.  We pulled the mattress out from the garage (they were in plastic bags) and put them in the house to get him used to the idea and Saturday before nap time, we got his bed all made up and ready.

Bed without the side railing

All set up and ready to go.

Now we have been pumping this up. I told him that he had to wait for mommy or daddy to get him before he could get out of bed and if he did, he would get a treat when he woke up. (We do a lot of bribing around here) So we did our usual nap time routine and put him down. Easy peasy. No problems, no fights. Yay, round 1 was a success!

Then came bedtime. We started gathering the animals and getting everything ready for bed and Noah said, "Put my bed back together, put my bed back together, I don't want to go to bed." Yikes, I was a little worried, but we told him what we were going to do, then we read books and put him down and NOT A PEEP! Success. Now let's see how the rest of the week goes. He will sometimes be ok right away and then digresses, but always comes around.

I just never know how the kids are going to do with things. Ava was easy and I forget that Noah isn't Ava sometimes and he doesn't do things like she did, so it is always stressful for me.

Yay for Noah. One more milestone met without too much heartache, except for mama. My little boy is growing up so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment